Keeping motivation going is not always easy to do or deal with. In today’s post, we will go over a few tips that I have learned and use. At least if I don’t forget about them!
Finding the problem slowing down motivation…
So the biggest issue that anyone has the hardest time dealing with is being able to motivate yourself enough to get things done. Doesn’t matter if you are doing something simple or just trying to make it through a shift at work.
Look, we all try to figure out how to keep going when we are literally thinking of taking a nap instead or rather doing something in that dreaded “Comfort Zone”.
This has to be the biggest pain or problem that anyone wants to keep motivated. I am trying to figure out what is keeping you from motivating yourself. This in itself would make you not want to get motivated enough to do it, but this step would help you the most.
Just like brainstorming an idea I have posted about earlier, the same method can apply here. Make a list of what emotions or feelings you get when you feel no motivation when working on something. Yes, thinking about a fun way to complete the task can help, just keep it focused on that actual task and not get sidetracked.
The biggest takeaway here is to find what triggers that response when trying to complete a task or it just feels overwhelming.
Stop. Full Stop.
Take a second to assess what needs to be done, then narrow that down to smaller steps and go from there. Literally, don’t overthink it. Some tasks are going to be multiple of almost the same menial labor, but it doesn’t mean you have to still not motivate yourself. It just happens the time you are doing the task, yet again, it goes by faster. Why? Because you have already done it before, you now have experience in doing it.
You will find that finding the problem that keeps you unmotivated, becomes easier to deal with. Experience is helpful because it gives you the resources to push through. Not only that, those tasks or steps in the bigger task become less of a motivational burden and more of something you just breeze right through!
Tackling the problem of unmotivation…
So now that we have learned about what makes us aggravated about finding the motivation to complete anything. Now it’s time to start trying a few things to help us get motivated and out of our comfort zone and motivated. As I mentioned in the post Moving past start is how to deal with starting out and getting going. A few tips there and a few that you might have picked up in other work, or life experiences.
The biggest problem with tackling motivation and the lack of it. Is how to deal with it. Take a moment to really look at what stops or creates those roadblocks. Something that we all face. Not something you can really inherit a skill. A lot of the roadblocks are by ourselves and not really wanting to deal with tasks that we find unfurling or even boring. This is why we outsource such tasks if we can to others. Might as well spread the love.
Look, motivation is a precious commodity these days. It’s hard to keep going and stay focused. It seems that there are a lot of distractions and other things that seem to demand our attention. This doesn’t mean you stop and don’t do anything. You keep going. Here are 5 things to help with the lack of motivation and how to get through them.
- Reconnect with Your “Why”:
- Purpose: Reflect on why you started your business in the first place. What was the problem you wanted to solve or the impact you wanted to make? Revisiting this can reignite your passion.
- Vision Board: Create a visual representation of your goals, aspirations, and the reasons behind your startup. Having a tangible reminder can be motivational.
- Set Clear, Achievable Goals:
- Break It Down: Large tasks can be overwhelming, leading to procrastination and a lack of motivation. By breaking them into smaller, more manageable tasks, you’ll feel more accomplished as you tick them off.
- Celebrate Small Wins: Recognize and celebrate the minor milestones. This creates positive reinforcement and encourages you to keep pushing forward.
- Establish a Routine and Environment Conducive to Work:
- Dedicated Workspace: If possible, have a designated place to work that’s free from distractions. This creates a mental association between that space and productivity.
- Time Management Techniques: Techniques such as the Pomodoro Technique (working in focused bursts with short breaks) can help maintain focus and motivation.
- Seek External Support and Inspiration:
- Networking: Connect with other entrepreneurs or join a startup community. Sharing challenges and hearing others’ experiences can be reassuring and motivating.
- Mentorship: Seek out a mentor in your industry. Their guidance, perspective, and encouragement can be invaluable in navigating the ups and downs of startup life.
- Prioritize Self-Care and Mental Health:
- Take Breaks: Remember that it’s okay, and even beneficial, to take breaks. Short walks, meditation sessions, or simply stepping away from work can refresh your mind.
- Physical Health: Regular exercise can increase energy levels and release endorphins, which are natural mood boosters. Also, a balanced diet can have a significant impact on your overall mood and motivation.
- Seek Professional Help: If your lack of motivation is prolonged and accompanied by feelings of hopelessness, sadness, or anxiety, consider seeking therapy or counseling. They can offer coping strategies and provide support.
Remember, it’s entirely natural to experience ebbs and flows in motivation. The key is recognizing these moments and proactively taking steps to rekindle your drive and enthusiasm.
I hope you got something out of this but also found a different way to look at something and do something about it. It is looking at the issues before they become bigger and dealing with them head-on. Do not wait, because it will only make it that much harder to deal with later on. Trust me, you will not want to deal with that as such a bigger problem than what you started with. If you want to read more about Freelancing and Life, check this post out to learn more
So go out there handle these problems push through it and keep moving forward!!!